DDBU: Buck & Dickson, Solicitors of Preston, c1552-1930
Mainly 19th century deeds, correspondence, legal papers, minutes of evidence, plans, receipts, sale posters & agreements, including estates of Cornelius Bourne of Stalmine Hall, 1714-1854; James Caunce of Preston, 1821-1890; Joseph Briggs Dickson of Preston, 1744-1890; Christopher Bland Walker & John Grimshaw Walker of Preston, 1818-1878 & Preston Corporation Ribble Navigation Scheme, 1883-1889
DDM: Molyneux, Earls of Sefton: additional records, 1662-1963
Deeds & legal papers concerning properties in Aintree, Altcar, Bootle, Bretherton, Cronton, Ditton, Fazakerley, Ford, Formby, Grange, Great Crosby, Halsall, Hightown station, Ince Blundell, Kirkby, Knowsley, Litherland, Lunt, Lydiate, Melling cum Cunscough, Netherton, Orrell, Sefton, Simonswood, Tarbock, Thornton, Toxteth Park, Walton on the Hill, Warbreck, Waterloo with Seaforth, Wavertree, West Derby & Whiston including Grove House Estate, Harrison's Farm in Gill Moss, Rycroft House Estate, Town Row in West Derby, Lunt House, Homers Green in Thornton, Leeds & Liverpool Canal, Richard Richmond property in Thornton, Park Stile Farm & Stone Bridge Farm in West Derby. Also Altcar tenants toll exemption papers, 1906-1912; Toxteth Park rentals, 1802-1866; marriage settlement between Charles William, Lord Molyneux, and Lady Isabella Stanhope, 1768-1771 & settlement of estate of Earl of Sefton, 1834.
DDX 116: K H Docton Collection: additional records, 1809-1929
Plans of lands and property in Ashton with Stodday, Barnacre with Bonds, Barrow-in-Furness, Blackburn, Bold, Bolton le Sands, Carnforth, Caton, Chistlehurst, Church, Claughton, Cockerham, Dalton, Egton cum Newland, Ellel, Elswick, Forton, Galgate, Goosnargh, Great Eccleston, Halton, Hawkshead, Heysham, Holleth, Kirkby Lonsdale, Lancaster, Lytham, Morecambe, Moss Dale, Myerscough, Nateby, Nether Kellet, Nether Wyresdale, New Accrington, Newchurch, Old Accrington, Ormskirk, Oswaldtwistle, Over Kellet, Over Wyersdale, Poulton le Fylde, Poulton le Sands, Preesall, Quernmore, Roeburndale, Scotforth, Skerton, Stalmine, Tatham, Thornton, Torrisholme, Ulverston & Woodplumpton
Drawing of details of a bar front, 1903 [DDX 116: K H Docton collection]
Thanks to funding provided by the Friends, work has started on a project to improve the descriptions of many collections held by the Archive. The project builds on from a previous survey project, undertaken in 2019-2020, which identified nearly 9,000 locations in the Archive strongrooms for which there is currently no information available in Calm/LANCAT. So, while there is a record of where the locations are and what collection they belong to, it is a bit of a mystery what is actually stored there or what it consists of.
Whilst the large number of locations to be listed means that detailed cataloguing will not be possible in most instances, the aim is to provide enough description to enable searchers to identify whether the material may be of interest to them. The project will also help to identify further work needed on collections, repackaging needs and possible volunteer projects, which should all help to inform future workstreams in the Archives.
Keep an eye on this blog for reports on progress, collections which have been listed and for items of interest which have been found along the way. Below is the front cover of a 1932 Olympia Show exhibition brochure for Shaws of Darwen, manufacturers of terracotta, glazed brick and ceramic sinks [collection: DDX 2655].