So far as is known, records survive for only one Lancashire monastic manor – Lytham. Among the muniments of the Clifton family, who acquired the manor in 1606, are pre -dissolution rolls for the years 1504, 1513/14, 1516-1518, 1422-1524,1526, 1529 and 1532-33. Unfortunately, most are too fragile for examination. Sixteen later rolls survive for the period 1541 – 1614. A very good coverage of the period 1611 – 1712 is given by a composite volume of court records which includes those of four nearby Clifton manors.
With the death of Mary, Dowager Duchess of Norfolk, on 17th September, 1754, the ancient family of Shireburn of Stonyhurst became extinct. For more than 500 years the Shireburns had counted themselves amongst the most wealthy and influential of the Lancashire gentry. They traced their ancestry to Robert of Shirebuen, who was granted the manor of Hambleton by one Geoffrey the Crossbowman, probably his uncle, in 1245. As the centuries passed they acquired extensive lands in both Lancashire and Yorkshire, including the manor of Aighton Bailey and Chaigley where their mansion house of Stonyhurst was situated. Despite the fact that they remained loyal to the Roman Catholic religion after the Reformation, and were, liable to the legal penalties imposed upon members of that religion, they managed to preserve their position of eminence to the end.
The Record Office has acquired a collection of some 300 documents (DP/397) relating mainly to the Standish family of Duxbury [this article was first published in the Lancashire Record Office annual report for 1969-70. The collection can be seen at Lancashire Archives and you can browse the catalogue here]. They range from the early 13th century to late 18th and the collection compress title deeds, accounts and receipts, bonds, letters, enclosure, legal and official papers and a good series of Duxbury manorial records from 1489 to 1632. It is supplemented by the documents which have long lain amongst the County Records (DX/850-1291) because the solicitors of Frank Hall Standish, one of the last Standishes, were also deputy clerks of the peace. These latter papers cover the years 1612-1837, principally the years 1830-1843.